another journalist rolls over for W

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Apr 10 13:54:17 PDT 2002

Providence Journal - April 10, 2002

The president is religious and resolute, Woodward attests

BY TOM MOONEY Journal Staff Writer

PROVIDENCE -- A woman in the audience wanted to know about President Bush's religious conviction. How strong is it and what role does it play in his decisions?

Few other than the commander in chief himself would dare claim knowledge of such a personal issue.

Bob Woodward didn't hesitate.

"It's sincere and genuine," the journalist said flatly from the podium yesterday. Certainly the president isn't a minister, Woodward went on, but he exudes an earthy sincerity that extends to his religious beliefs. "I accept it at face value."

Perhaps Woodward does know.

The New York Times has called Woodward the most famous investigative reporter in America. Since 1973, when he and Carl Bernstein won the Pulitzer Prize for their coverage of the Watergate scandal that toppled President Nixon, Woodward has won nearly every American journalism prize -- including sharing another Pulitzer Monday with fellow staffers at The Washington Post for their reports on terrorism in the aftermath of Sept. 11.

He has also authored or coauthored eight national best-selling nonfiction books. Each, in Woodward style, burrowed beneath the surface of Washington power structures to expose, among other secrets, the covert wars of the CIA, the commanders of the Gulf War, and the innermost workings of the Clinton White House.

Yesterday Woodward, who is 59 and now an assistant managing editor at The Post, was the keynote speaker at the Business Expo 2002, held at the Rhode Island Convention Center.

What the 300 or so business leaders heard were the sometimes comical, sometimes chilling, anecdotes of a Washington insider.

Woodward spent much of his hour-long discussion singing the praises of President Bush.

Prior to the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, Woodward planned to write a book about Mr. Bush's first year in office. He had spoken to senior advisers but had not met the president until one day at a Connecticut university where Mr. Bush was speaking.

Woodward was waiting offstage when Mr. Bush bounded toward him, filled with enthusiasm and adrenaline.

When Woodward extended his hand and introduced himself, the president said: "Duhh! I know who you are." A moment later, Mr. Bush squeezed Woodward's head and called him "Woody."

"Nobody gives me the nickname, 'Woody,' " Woodward said yesterday, as the audience chuckled.

Later, after the terrorist attacks, Woodward and another reporter interviewed Mr. Bush in the Oval Office.

The reporters had an hour to ask their questions. But Woodward said the president gave them 90 minutes, often speaking candidly about classified information and explaining the reasons behind some of his actions.

"Certainly Richard Nixon would not have allowed reporters to question him like that. Bush's father [former President George Bush] wouldn't allow it. Clinton wouldn't allow it.

"As a journalist I like somebody who is straight and direct," Woodward said.

Woodward said the toughest job of every president is "to define the next stage of good" for the nation -- be it a tax cut for the middle class, a medical plan for seniors -- and then "develop a plan to get there."

The job often requires a president to walk alone. And at such times, the trait he needs most is courage.

As the war on terrorism continues, Woodward said, Mr. Bush will be forced to walk alone, but so far he has done so bravely.

Woodward recalled how two days after the terrorist attacks, the CIA had heard Pakistani extremists were planning an attack on the White House. The CIA wanted to evacuate the president to a bunker under the White House.

Mr. Bush, aware of the criticism he received on Sept. 11, when the Secret Service flew him around the country to avoid possible attack, said, according to Woodward: "I'm not leaving. I'm not going to do it."

Instead, Woodward said, Mr. Bush turned to an aide and ordered a hamburger.

The aide, knowing the president was about to blow his diet, replied: "Mr. President, you might as well have cheese.' "