ANSWER and the Answer

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Wed Apr 10 15:24:16 PDT 2002

I believe all the horrible things that people have been saying about WWP/IAC, but I have to say that the latter have a better slant on A20 than their more wholesome peers.

The IAC site says explicitly their demo is to "oppose the Bush/Sharon war on Palestinians." I don't doubt that there is lots of stuff underneath that I wouldn't like, but by contrast from the coalition's web site we have the headline:

"Stop the war at home and abroad," and in the call to action we are told:

"A U.S. foreign policy based upon social and economic justice, not military and corporate oppression."

"The war" in question is evidently Afghanistan and the possible invasion of Iraq. There is nothing about the ME, which at the moment is the leading edge of whatever Bush has in store in the war on terror (sic).

The 'call to action' thing is mush. It is accompanied by stuff about financial aid to students and military contracts with universities.

On the strength of these presentations, any Third World student with 10 percent brain function would gravitate to the IAC contingent. The non-IAC side seems afraid of the Palestinian question.

Maybe I'm too old and grouchy for the movement.

mbs