Levine book already in second printing

/ dave / arouet at winternet.com
Wed Apr 10 18:19:20 PDT 2002

Furor over book on youth and sexuality turns it into a hit

Published Apr 10, 2002

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- The furor over a provocative new book on youth and sexuality has helped turn it into a hit.

The University of Minnesota Press ordered a second printing of " Harmful to Minors: The Perils of Protecting Children From Sex" by writer Judith Levine.

It will print another 10, 000 copies of the book, a larger than usual second run, spokeswoman Allison Aten said Wednesday. The first run was 3, 500 books.

"We' ve had strong orders for the book, so we decided to go back to press just because she' s getting so much publicity, " Aten said. The demand is coming from independent, chain and online booksellers, as well as wholesalers and distributors, she said.

In the book, Levine argues that young Americans, though bombarded with sexual images from the mass media, are often deprived of realistic advice about sex.

She also contends abstinence-only sex education is misguided, and suggests the threat of pedophilia and molestation is exaggerated by adults who want to deny young people the opportunity for positive sexual experiences. And she contends consensual sex between adults and teen-agers isn' t necessarily harmful.

Some conservative groups condemned " Harmful to Minors" before its release.

--

/ dave /