Chomsky on Vietnam

Bradford DeLong jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu
Wed Apr 10 17:58:24 PDT 2002

>One of the genuine contradictions of neoliberal ideology is, it *needs* an
>ironclad, smokestack, Old Economy Stalinism as a symbolic counterweight to
>its weightless, bodiless (and, with Enron, profitless) speculations. Take
>that away, and suddenly those strange messages from Morpheus start popping
>up on your email...
>
>-- Dennis

Yes. It's astonishing how many people (especially working for the entertainment industry) suddenly race for Lockean conceptions of permanent ownership of the products of mental labor when they sense that the "invisible hand" social welfare justification of property rights in information goods has been stripped away.

Of course, I have yet to meet anyone who has searched for the heirs of Balaam-Ish-Baal to pay him for their use of his idea to use a stylized picture of an ox to represent the phoneme "a"...

Brad DeLong