Outin vows to nurture small businesses

ChrisD(RJ) chrisd at russiajournal.com
Thu Apr 11 05:36:33 PDT 2002

Nation editor Katrina vanden Heuvel, who doubles as a Russia expert, tells me that she doubts the story of a Russian economic expansion - independent, that is, of the periods of strength in the oil market. She said that just the other week, Putin was meeting with a bunch of industrial policy types, trying to figure out how to get some serious development going - suggesting that he deosn't believe in the expansion much either. Any thoughts?

Doug -------------------- Heuvel would also be the wife of Stephen Cohen, right?

As I've said before, IMO high oil prices are a big factor, but I don't think they're the only one. Why isn't all the extra income just getting stolen? That's what happened in the 90s. I think the era of primitive accumulation has ended and a stabler form of oligarchic capitalism has taken shape.

The concern in Putin's mind is probably not expansion as much as rate of expansion. Russia wants to catch up to the West.

PS. I mentioned increasing wage arrears in a previous post. It turns out that the arrears are mostly a result of the government's increasing wages for government employees and teachers, which apparently some of the regional treasuries are having problems handling.

Chris Doss The Russia Journal