ace confesses?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Apr 11 12:27:29 PDT 2002

Bradford DeLong wrote:

>>Brad DeLong wrote:
>>
>>>From my perspective, the really scary thing is self-plagiarism:
>>>writing a paragraph, looking at it, and then thinking that it is
>>>remarkably similar to a paragraph I wrote last year...
>>
>>This is known in the trade as repurposing.
>>
>>Doug
>

>I thought "repurposing" was when you took something you'd already
>written, and dressed it up in a different outfit.
>
>This is when I'm *trying* to write something original, and yet it
>doesn't seem to work...

Ah, ok, I misunderstood. Yes, your def of repurposing is the one I got from an old friend who worked on the WSJ's website in its early days. Running an article from the print Journal on the web, or vice versa, was called "repurposing."

But there's nothing new under the sun, and originality is a bourgeois delusion.

Doug