Entropy

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 11 13:30:56 PDT 2002

Norbert Weiner. His _The Human Use of Human Beings:
>Cybernetics and Society_ was probably the most influential attempt to
>apply Shannon's entropy to society, and no one can say he didn't
>understand the math.

To say the least!

Also some of his arguments, like about the baleful
>effects of secrecy on weapons development, are still fresh today.

The book actually wears very well, though I haven't read it in ten years. W was a friend of my dad's, who was a mathematician also, did weapons work.

>I think most of the American lit crit use of the term eventually traces
>back to him via Pynchon.

What's the W-P connection?

jks