Enron suicide note disclosed

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 11 13:37:01 PDT 2002

Here it is, Enron ex-vice-chairman J. Clifford Baxter suicide note, addressed to his wife:

"I am so sorry for this. I feel I just can't go on. I have always tried to do the right thing, but where there was once great pride, now it's gone. I love you and the children so much. I just can't be any good to you or myself. The pain is overwhelming. Please try to forgive me. Cliff."

As someone who has written quite a bit of corporate cant in his time, I would say this note has a weirdly canned tone for a suicide. It's as if the guy had internalized corporate clichés; you almost expect the note to say he's "leaving for personal reasons." All of which leads one to suspect the note might be a fake. As little given to conspiracy-mongering as I am, there seems to be a great deal about this supposed suicide that raises doubts.

See, e.g.: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/04/10/eveningnews/main505845.shtml

Carl