anti-globalization label

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Thu Apr 11 15:54:43 PDT 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck Munson" <chuck at tao.ca>

Ian Murray wrote:
> New Faith in Free Trade
> In Break With Allies, Oxfam Backs Globalization

>Not surprised to see Blustein writing this. Is Oxfam the first member of
>the anti-globalization movement to sell out? Does anybody know what their
>ties are with corporations?

I don't buy that this is a sell-out. I think the report was distortng and sets out to pit Oxfam against other groups, while downplaying the extremely harsh critique of First World countries. Oxfam made the absolutely right on point that the US and Europe are hypocrites on the issue of trade, advocating the dropping of trade barriers in developing nations, while keeping up trade barriers in crucial markets like agriculture where those developing nations would benefit most from global trade.

I've never bought that the global justice movement was about protectionism-- I am for the US opening up its markets fully to developing nations as long as labor and environmental standards are enforced. The current system of select protectionism benefits capitalists while doing little for workers over the long term.

-- Nathan Newman