demo

R rhisiart at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 12 07:52:09 PDT 2002

thanks, Max!

----- Original Message -----

From: Max Sawicky

To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com

Sent: Friday, April 12, 2002 6:50 AM

Subject: RE: demo

The q was whether there was any coverage. Here it is.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A34676-2002Apr11.html

There were about 70 people there, and evidently two or three

TV networks. Some Christian clergy, and about five Palestinians,

some with big flags (to which nobody took exception). There were

no bad guys in sight, just the praetorian guard at the State Dept.

Lerner, West, and a third person I didn't know spoke.

The speeches were a little more wimpy than I expected.

Then Lerner started taking

questions. This seemed to go on forever, which is why I left.

Leaving was a bit easier since the thing had been announced

as civil disobedience. I went prepared to get arrested, since

I'm out of practice. I thought a bunch of jews getting arrested

at State criticizing Sharon was a natural man-bites-dog story

and would get coverage. But I wasn't eager to get arrested.

Evidently after I left, there was a debate about whether to

proceed with the CD. Not smart, in hindsight, but at least they

went and did it finally. The pacificity, not to say passivity,

of the affair became the Post's lead. Just shows you that

a little rowdiness has its uses.

This sort of CD has become a completely choreographed

affair. Nobody is inconvenienced in the slightest. Everybody

goes through their moves, like old troupers.

My consolation prize for not getting busted was hearing

a speech from a hyper-kinetic Richard Gephardt, Most

memorable and genuinely weird line:

"Politics is a substitute for violence."

mbs