"Restoring democracy in Venezuela" vomit

John Mage jmage at panix.com
Fri Apr 12 09:14:56 PDT 2002

Quoting myself quoting Jim Petras in the thread "Re: Naomi Klein in Argentina" posted on March 27,2002:

> Quoting the very knowledgable Jim Petras (in a piece to be published in
> MR in May) on the question that Doug asks: "The reversion to client
> military dictatorships with a civic facade will not prevent the Bush
> Administration from claiming to be 'defending democracy and free
> markets'. The U.S. mass media can and will embellish on this and any
> variety of related motifs."

This morning: ------ Filed at 10:49 a.m. ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States on Friday accused the Venezuelan government of ousted President Hugo Chavez of provoking a crisis by ordering Chavez supporters to fire on peaceful demonstrators.

The White House was clearly pleased by the toppling from power of Chavez, whose left-leaning policies frequently angered the U.S. government. Chavez resigned under pressure from military leaders after a huge protest march in Caracas in which at least 10 people were killed and 100 wounded.

``Details are still unclear, but what we do know is that the actions encouraged by the Chavez government provoked a crisis. According to the best information we have, the government suppressed what was a peaceful demonstration of the people,'' said White House spokesman Ari Fleischer.

He said Chavez government supporters on orders fired on unarmed, peaceful protesters, resulting in 10 killed and 100 wounded.

He said the United States expressed solidarity with the Venezuelan people and looked forward to working with democratic forces in Venezuela to ``restore the essential elements of democracy.'' ------

john mage