One Moore stupid white man

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Fri Apr 12 22:35:18 PDT 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck Grimes" <cgrimes at rawbw.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Friday, April 12, 2002 8:28 PM Subject: Re: One Moore stupid white man

> C'mon. People who write from the left [Michael Moore] should be
> extremely careful with their facts. There's nothing worse than having
> some right-wing or centrist wiseguy point out all the errors.... Doug
>
> ---------------
>
> But in the end, does it really matter?
>
> I am not arguing that the Left, if it is going to use empirical
> evidence to support its claims, that that evidence shouldn't be
> solid. On the other hand, it seems once in the empirical arena, no
> amount of evidence can ever be enough. And ultimately, in a sense the
> argument almost never really requires the support of empirical
> verification.
>
> I am sure you've noticed that usually the `facts' are pre-constructed
> to reflect the points argued, then quickly the differently constructed
> measures are contested. Then the argument devolves into which of two
> or more measures best fits the reality.

There's that word again when what we have is an interminable, unnecessarily adversarial discourse about societies and how theoriesevidence configure and construct and deconstruct and reconstruct relationships and how they *should* be and become...when the potential and actual determination[s] of *should* are the aporia, apotheosis and grundnorm of conflict......

metaconflictually?

Ian