Gorby's bad Russian

ChrisD(RJ) chrisd at russiajournal.com
Sun Apr 14 02:01:03 PDT 2002

Back during Gorbymania days, Spy mag did a story saying that he was rather crude, and his Russian sounded like a rube's. Is there any truth to that?

Doug ---------------- I should also mention that, although Gorbachev was the first Soviet leader since Lenin to have attended a university, I don't think he ever got rid of his provincial Russian. Gorbachev was born in a little rural village to a family of peasants (there was a lot of upward mobility in the USSR!).

Chris Doss The Russia Journal