sweeney is speaking monday at the pro-israel rally with netanyahu

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Apr 15 03:37:30 PDT 2002

>Max B. Sawicky wrote:
>
>>You may have noticed that all this nationalist protectionism hasn't
>>done anything to save jobs in the U.S., and that labor has pretty
>>much lost all the major trade battles. You'd think that might lead to
>>a strategy rethink, but apparently not.
>>Doug
>>
>>mbs: I don't think labor has any choice but to defend jobs.
>
>But the strategy has been a complete failure - as UNITE! people will
>concede in private.
>
>Doug

Probably, UNITE's protectionism isn't a "strategy." It's a default position for union leaders who represent workers in a declining manufacturing industry, because most likely there is _no_ viable strategy that can really defend textile workers' jobs in the USA under capitalism. (Perhaps, the government can nationalize textile mills and keep jobs, but it can't do so if the mills are to run simply for profits.)

Textile protectionism is a symptom of the economic decline of the Empire, which, far from exporting capital to develop the periphery, sucks it out of it. The Empire can't even throw trade crumbs in the direction of cooperative Third World leaders like General Pervez Musharraf:

***** In the early weeks of the war effort, American officials and their European counterparts scrambled to identify tangible economic measures to reward President Pervez Musharraf, Pakistan's military ruler, for his support. Mr. Musharraf's wish list was short: debt relief and greater access to Western markets for Pakistan's apparel and textiles, which account for nearly 80 percent of its export earnings.

This seemed reasonable. The war has directly disrupted Pakistan's trade through increased insurance costs and shipment delays. The administration made good on its promise to provide debt relief. But a funny thing happened as Washington prepared to welcome Mr. Musharraf for his visit to the United States. The administration quietly dropped plans to expand access for Pakistan apparel imports in the face of resistance from the domestic industry and House Republicans, who warned it could undermine support for fast-track trade promotion authority-a high priority for President Bush.

<http://www.brook.edu/views/op-ed/brainard/20011227.htm> *****

When the Empire has no carrot to offer, it has to wield a bigger stick.... -- Yoshie