The New Science

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Mon Apr 15 11:54:13 PDT 2002

Miles wrote:

>As I understand the literature on SSRIs like Prozac, the drug seems to
>provoke suicidal ideation and behavior in a small number of people who
>take it. I don't think it's a general, powerful effect on everyone.
>People respond in surprisingly diverse ways to these drug therapies, as
>a number of people on the list have posted.
>
>But the pharmas still run ads making drugs sound like magic bullets...

What is left out is that there are serious withdrawal complications with some of the SSRI's which have also resulted in deaths and suicides when one attempts to go off the drug. They are marketed as "non-addictive" but there is a withdrawal for lots of folks. The MANUFACTURER of Paxil is now being sued for not labeling the drug as having withdrawal issues.

Marta -- Marta Russell Los Angeles, CA www.disweb.org