Venezuelan Interim President Resigns

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Mon Apr 15 12:10:27 PDT 2002

>Charles: It would seem that, at least, the positions and actions of
>trade unions, must be judged more on a case by case basis, without a
>sort of rebuttable presumption in their favor in general. Trade
>unions and especially their leaders can be integrally part of
>capitalist ruling class institutions, although not all are.

I was overly broad in my statement. The reversal of the coup in Venezuela (as I already commented in another email) needs to be lauded as the victory of the masses of unemployed and poor who have no job, no union, facing only huge cuts in the battered social safety net. Those were the ones in the streets putting their lives on the line against the military. I salute THEM.

And I do think that most unions are not so involved with the macro unemployment issue but are concerned when job loss affects them directly. If union workers are losing their jobs that is a problem, if people don't have a job well that is less significant. Am I wrong?

>One might even speculate from the reports on revolution and
>counter-revolution in Venezuela, that we do need a category "middle
>class" , which includes rottenly opportunist sectors of privileged
>workers, and especially , their trade union leaders, as well as
>traditional petit bourgeoisie. The working class masses, the real
>People, seem to have formed a consciousness of this split within the
>working class, and have established their own party in power. By
>the events of this last few day, the Bolivarians seem to have the
>overwhelming majority of the population conscious and active in
>defense of the revolution. In other words, they have actually
>established DEMOCRACY, the last thing the U.S. and its stooges
>around the world want.

That is why we have the SOA afterall, to give the business class usually allied with US interests a tool to do what they attempted to do to Chavez. The beauty of it is that it FAILED this time -- at least so far.

>All power is with the People, in Venezuela . Viva Bolivarianism and
>viva Chavez !

snip

Agreed. marta

-- Marta Russell Los Angeles, CA www.disweb.org