Gorby's bad Russian

ChrisD(RJ) chrisd at russiajournal.com
Mon Apr 15 23:43:46 PDT 2002

Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 13:30:15 -0700 From: Brad DeLong <jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu> Subject: RE: Gorby's bad Russian

>I would not say there was less social mobility under Brezhnev compared to
>today. Farmer's son could go to study in the Moscow State University or any
>other prestigious educational institution.

Unless they were Jews, of course... ----------------------------------- Actually, for all Russia's history of anti-Semitism, I personally have encountered very little of it here. I have, on the other hand, seen a hell of a lot of hostility toward Caucasians (and I had a Russian Jew explain to me that it's OK for the Israelis to do what they're doing because "Arabs are just like Chechens"). (I've also heard a Chechen, albeit a very drunk one, advocate that Russia just lay waste to his homeland to wipe out the jihadists, which was pretty creepy to hear.)

Chris Doss The Russia Journal