Chomsky on Vietnam

Michael Hoover HooverM at scc-fl.edu
Tue Apr 16 05:46:09 PDT 2002

>>> dhenwood at panix.com 04/10/02 09:50AM >>>
I asked Noam Chomsky if I had remembered correctly that he argues that the U.S. didn't lose the Vietnam War. He responds: Your memory is right. The actual aims, which were always pretty clear I thought and could hardly be denied after the Pentagon Papers came out, were to prevent the "virus"-"rotten apple" effect of successful independent development, which might inspire independence movements in neighboring countries, perhaps spreading to Indonesia <<<<<>>>>>

recall westmoreland *and* some sdsers holding views similar to above, example evidence of u.s. 'victory' was that it still had subic bay and clark bases in philippines (not to mention marcos for prez carter to make agreement with extending u.s. use of said facilities)... michael hoover