rate of return on capital

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Apr 16 10:47:20 PDT 2002

Diane Monaco wrote:

>I am looking for information on the rate of return on capital in
>developing countries and how it compares to the rate in developed
>countries. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

One version of that can be estimated by looking at BEA's direct investment data for the U.S. <http://www.bea.gov/bea/di/di1usdop.htm> - divide profits by the capital stock. When I've done it, I've been surprised at how low returns are in some "developing" countries, and how high they are in some "developed" ones.

Doug