Wolfowitz Booed at Pro-Israel Rally

Brad DeLong jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu
Tue Apr 16 11:49:41 PDT 2002

>Brad DeLong wrote:
>
>>>This is amazing stuff. Just what is up with the Bushies? One of
>>>their leading hawks booed by wacko Zionists, and Sharon disobeying
>>>W's orders to withdraw. Can we conclude from this that 1) Bush &
>>>Co. secretly approve of what Sharon is up to, and they're using
>>>Powell's mission as PR cover, or 2) they're going to run out of
>>>patience with Israel and its domestic allies, or 3) they're
>>>confused and divided about what to do?
>>>
>>>Doug
>>

>>You are surprised that the GWB administration is less than competent?...
>
>W himself is an idiot, but Powell, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, &
>co. aren't. They've all been around a long time, and most have a
>strongly held worldview.
>
>Doug

But their worldviews are *different*. And that's when having someone smart enough to harmonize--integrate--decide--is important.

Karl Rove and David Frum decide "axis of evil" sounds really cool, and they persuade GWB to say it--thus driving three countries that had nothing in common (and two of which feared and hated each other more than they hated the U.S.) into a de facto anti-American alliance. Powell wants to put pressure on Israel, and emulate GHWB in cracking the whip to cut off aid if Sharon does not behave property, so Powell gets GWB to tell Sharon to bug out of the West Bank. Then Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz talk to GWB about the fantasy that we might want the IDF to occupy some oil fields someday, and how we need to reassure Sharon, so the demand to "bug out" is never followed up when it is ignored.

Rove, Powell, and Rusmfeld all know what they would do. U.S. policy is a random mixture of all three...

Brad DeLong