Wolfowitz Booed at Pro-Israel Rally

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Apr 16 12:11:25 PDT 2002

Nathan Newman wrote:

>What was decent? How about affirming that many Palestinians want peace, that
>their national aspirations need to be honored for any "just and lasting
>peace", and that poverty will only spur more violence.

Let's look at the whole text again. We have:

* Israel's "darkest hour" * the parallel to 9/11 * "how terrifying the suicide bombs have made daily life in Israel" * "assaults on innocent civilians" - in Israel, that is * "acts of terror" - which context suggests are not those committed by the IDF * "the American labor movement['s]...long and enduring relationship with the state of Israel" * recognition of the "aspirations of the Palestinian people" * "violence that can only spread despair among all people, fueled by even greater poverty and unemployment" * "condemn[ing] acts of terror while moving both parties back to the negotiating table" * "defend[ing] Israel's right to exist and the right of its people to live in peace * continuing "to denounce terrorist assaults on civilians, and we will work to support a just and lasting peace

So we have about nine statements sympathetic to Israel and two sympathetic to Palestinians, witht he wording of the former much stronger than the latter. "Acts of terror" - perpetrated by you know who - paired with agentless "violence." Israel's right to exist, but not a word about Palestinians other than their vague "aspirations." That he was not booed by this crowd, unlike Wolfowitz, shows you just where Sweeney's sympathies lie.

It won't hurt you to admit that the man has a bias.

Doug