"millions" in Italian general strike

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 16 15:28:42 PDT 2002

It's important to remember that this strike in Italy was successful in not only bringing out the organized workers (those in unions, I mean) but also those in "precarious" positions ("precario" the term the italian comrades use) temporary workers, fast food workers, contractual workers, immigrant workers....Doctors and nurses also participated and hospitals were only accepting emergency patients.

So, it was not like the heads of the top 5 unions only called out their workers...almost ALL of the italian working class came out, so it seems.

Thomas --- Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
> Matthew Snyder wrote:
>
> >Doug Henwood writes:
> >> [can we please have one of these?]
> >
> >*Could* we (Americans) have one of these? Is it
> possible in
> >a country this large? Certainly it could be done
> in large
> >cities if the right essential services were on
> board (public
> >transportation, schools, banks...), but I'm having
> trouble
> >figuring out the logistics of organizing a national
> general
> >strike.
>
> Italy's not a small country. It's more a matter of
> ideology &
> institutions than logistics, I'd say. Like Sweeney's
> gonna call for a
> general strike - not, of course, to be disrespectful
> toward the
> leader of the organized working class.
>
> Doug

===== "The tradition of all the dead generations

weighs like a nightmare on the brain of the living"

-Karl Marx