Pro-palestinian events

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Apr 16 18:48:27 PDT 2002

>At 03:18 AM 04/16/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>>i have what is surely a naive question: why is it that we have great
>>intellectual discussions on LBO and similar left lists, and everyone
>>seems to agree that the palestinian side of the story is seldom heard in
>>the US and deserves support, but we on the left cannot organize such a
>>show of support (as this pro-israel DC event) in favour of a peace that
>>can be achieved only through more honest participation on the part of
>>the israeli govt? is it just that i am missing such calls and waiting to
>>be picked up by limousine? or is the left too fragmented? or are the
>>palestinians entirely to blame for the problem?
>>
>>frustrated and unhappy,
>>
>> --ravi
>
>There are some big pro-Palestinian demonstrations coming up this
>Saturday: 4/20. One in DC and one in San Francisco. Posters and
>lurkers, please let us know about events in your area.
>
>Joanna

We had a rally for Palestinians at the Federal Building in Columbus, OH on Friday, April 5. That rally attracted about 400 people, larger than a pro-Israel rally on the same day, to which about 300 came (according to our local newspapers).

On Tuesday, April 9, we had a commemoration of the Deir Yassin massacre, which about 100 activists attended.

On Friday, April 12, we had another rally for Palestinians in front of the Statehouse -- about 200 came.

Tomorrow (Wednesday, April 17), to counter the celebration of Israel held by the local Israel Action Committee, we'll be having yet another rally as well -- this time on the Oval of the Ohio State university. 2-3 PM.

My co-organizers and I chartered a 49-seat bus to join the A20 action, and we'll be arriving in DC around 8 a.m. on the 20th. CAIR-Ohio will be sending at least two vans to A21-22. Local SOA Watch activists will be sending a van or two to the mobilization on Plan Columbia. Others are driving themselves or car-pooling or flying in. -- Yoshie