China and US elites hand-in-hand on PNTR (Re: nathan & 'once and for all')

Chris Beggy news at kippona.com
Tue Apr 16 20:29:08 PDT 2002

(Chris Beggy ) news at kippona.com writes:

> Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> writes:
>
>> Neither the Democrats nor the Republicans will give AFL-CIO a China
>> trade policy it wants (= not so much workers' rights for Chinese
>> workers as protecting American jobs from Chinese workers). China is
>> too big and important a market for them. Build a Third Party, or else
>
> But China is a small market now, with which the US nevertheless runs a huge
> merchandise trade deficit, so that can't be the reason. You must mean
> large labor market right?

I'm wrong! The market is large, and China is now the 4th largest trading partner of the US. I should have checked here before I posted:

http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/top/

It is the case that the the total monthly trade is around $9.99 billion, of which imports from China are $6.86 billion.

The deficit still points to China as a preferred source of labor and finished goods rather than a destination for exports of US enterprises.

Chris