Russian anti-Semitism

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Wed Apr 17 08:12:21 PDT 2002

Chris Doss's post was very interesting on the topic.

I am prepared to accept that there was a lot of Cold War propaganda about anti-Semitism.

But surely under Stalin the Doctor's Plot was an anti-Semitic campaign, as alleged. Shouldn't one expect anti-Semitism to flourish where nationalism is amplified. Would Chris's informant say that anti-Semitism declined in time, or that it was not so bad in the fifties either?

I'm a little sceptical about claims that Jews would make up fifty per cent of the intelligentsia, too. Doesn't this have a ring of anti-Semitism about it? I know in the UK for example, the people who regularly over-estimate the numbers of immigrants are those who dislike them.

And while we're at it, Chris's comment on Chechenya:

'Sometimes I think Russia just should just build a giant wall around the place,' sounds curiously familiar... -- James Heartfield The 'Death of the Subject' Explained is available at GBP11.00, plus GBP1.00 p&p from Publications, audacity.org, 8 College Close, Hackney, London, E9 6ER. Make cheques payable to 'Audacity Ltd'