West: Summers=Sharon

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Wed Apr 17 09:43:20 PDT 2002

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002 21:17:49 -0700 Brad DeLong <jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu> writes:

> >"Professors do not have supervisors, brother," Dr. West said today.
>
> >"Professors are free agents to do their work, because there is a
> >trust in their judgment about how they go about doing that work."
>
> Wow. That's a new one. I should tell this to my Department Chairman
> and my Dean...

Well West is what Harvard calls a "university professor." He is not answerable to any department chairmain nor to any of the deans. He is only answerable to the university president. Theoretically, as a univeristy professor, West can lecture in any department of the university that he wishes.

Apparently, President Summers, had chosen to exercize his perogative of supervising the academic work of Professor West, which implies that he believes the appointment of West as a university professor under Rudenstine was a mistake. It is hardly surprising that West would raise a stink about it, under those circumstances, especially being the academic star that he is, he has other options, including Princeton.

Jim F.