Enron suicide note disclosed

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 17 11:25:37 PDT 2002

>From: Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu>
>
>The wildly varying combinations of symptoms shown by victims of
>depression suggest to me that what we call depression is probably a
>classification that mushes fairly distinct disorders together. Sort as
>if all illnesses which produced a fever were considered one illness.

What drives me nuts (figuratively speaking) is the medicalization of all sorts of adverse mental states that have a strong political or existential component. After more than a generation of capitalist triumphalism capped by the glorious rebirth of outright imperialism, any decent person would *have* to be in a foul mood most of the time. If that person is exceptionally sensitive and has a certain biochemical predisposition, he/she could well devolve to that near-paralytic state known as clinical depression. But I would argue that the cause of that depressed state is capitalistic depredations, not idiopathic serotonin imbalances.

Carl