West: Summers=Sharon

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Apr 18 06:53:07 PDT 2002

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, Doug Henwood wrote:

> But wouldn't the same logic apply to Princeton? I don't quite get why
> Princeton is so eager to hire away the stars of Harvard's A-A department
> for precisely those reasons.

I assumed it was a recruiting thing -- that the appearance of activism is catnip to humanities students and is part of what makes the hot Ivy hot. Also, maybe I'm going on old stereotypes, but I though Princeton always had the reputation of being the most uptight and old fashioned of the Ivies on account of the eating clubs, and that turned some people off. (I certainly never considered them.) Importing these guys would change that reputation at one blow.

The problem with just running on legacies is that it pulls down your average SATs :o)

Michael