Russian anti-Semitism

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 18 07:39:22 PDT 2002

Russian antisemitism is very real--it's why I'm here! (In the US). It's probably less than in Stalin's day. Some of it is unconsciosu and not ill-intended. I have a friend who is an editor of Znamya, one od the Russian literary journals (and incidentally the daughter in law of the late novelist Anatoly Ryabykov), very liberal/progressive though not left. One time we were talking about an uproar in the House of Writers during perestroika, where some neoStalinsits accused the perestroika supporters of being, among other things, Zhidy (Yids, kikes, sheenys). She told me that she got out her passport marked with her nationality (Russian) and waved it about, saying, I am pure _Russian_! Well, naturally we didn't feel at home even even the progressive Russians don't thinkw e're Russian.

You will NEVER hear an Ashkanazi Jew of Russian descent say, I'm Russian, the way some Americans say, "I'm Polish" or "I'm Irish." Matter of fact, we weren't, we aren't.

jks