Enron suicide note disclosed

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Thu Apr 18 14:14:49 PDT 2002

>What drives me nuts (figuratively speaking) is the medicalization of
>all sorts of adverse mental states that have a strong political or
>existential component. After more than a generation of capitalist
>triumphalism capped by the glorious rebirth of outright imperialism,
>any decent person would *have* to be in a foul mood most of the
>time. If that person is exceptionally sensitive and has a certain
>biochemical predisposition, he/she could well devolve to that
>near-paralytic state known as clinical depression. But I would
>argue that the cause of that depressed state is capitalistic
>depredations, not idiopathic serotonin imbalances.
>
>Carl

_ My daughter had mononucleosis in the 10th grade and a severe depression set in afterwards. She was put on Wellbutrin, which is not a seratonin booster but another class of anti-depressant. Years later she still needed it so we went to a doc whose speciality is psyche meds. He explained that sometimes mono causes a depletion of a brain chemical (sorry I cannot recall that chemical) which the Wellbutrin supplied.

Just two weeks ago I ran into an old acquaintance whose daughter was in school with mine. She said that her daughter too had mono in high school and has needed Wellbutrin ever since, though her doc had never made the connection ours did. He prbably had not studied the matter as closely. So I do know that chemical imbalances do occur and they occur for many many reasons -- not limited to any specifics. We just don't know enough yet.

Also a depressed state can be much different from not being able to get out of bed due to depression. Marta --