Greenspan, thinking

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 19 07:40:52 PDT 2002

>From: "Michael McIntyre" <mmcintyr at depaul.edu>

>Miles Jackson wrote:
>
> >No, even after he dies, they'll leave him propped up in a chair,
> >contemplating interest rate hikes.
>
>"I would not only reappoint Mr Greenspan, but if Mr Greenspan should
>die, God forbid, I would do like they did in the movie Weekend at
>Bernie's. I would prop him up and put a pair of dark glasses on him."
> - John McCain, during the 2000
>campaign
>
>Perhaps he could nip down to the local with Jeremy Bentham for a bit of
>posthumous hedonic calculus.

Bentham's mummified "auto-icon" is still on display at University College, London -- minus, of course, his factory-installed head, which lost much of its charisma posthumously and was replaced by a wax replica. (Bentham's original and replacement noggins can be seen at http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/external/atanu/jb.html -- viewer discretion advised.)

BTW, I thought Greenspan's own head showed distinct signs of putrefaction in that photo that Doug posted. So, it may not be too early for the Federal Reserve to contact the folks at Madame Tussaud's and see if they can whip up a standby unit that can be popped into place if the Chairman's face actually starts falling apart.

Carl