Gorby

ChrisD(RJ) chrisd at russiajournal.com
Sat Apr 20 05:51:09 PDT 2002

Last post for the day, word of honor!

I've mentioned many times the unpopularity of Gorbachev in Russia. There is, however, another Gorbachev whose popularity rating remains through the roof.
:)

This article was published in The Russia Journal ISSUE No.31 (31), DATE: 1999-09-27 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---- RJ STREET POLL HOW WILL YOU REMEMBER RAISA GORBACHEV?

Felix Rozental,

journalist

I had the honor of meeting Raisa Gorbachev personally. I remember best how she spoke about Mikhail [Gorbachev], how she loved him and tried to help him in anything. She was amazingly intelligent, knowledgeable and loving. She treated her husband the way any woman should. She was his support in everything, but, at the same time, she was a personality herself. Perhaps that was why she annoyed so many philistines who thought that the president's wife would be someone fat and plain - the worse she looked, the better.

Konstantin Kharchev,

Ex-chairman of council on religion of the U.S.S.R. Council of Ministers

On the 1000th anniversary of Russia's Christianity, everyone awaited Gorbachev's arrival at the official ceremony. But it was a time when party leaders hesitated to attend. He didn't arrive. Instead, it was his double, his wife who appeared. And everyone understood that the man at the top had approved. ... At moments of crisis, she not only helped him but also pushed him to act in favor of reforms. She was a stateswoman, and we shouldn't shy away from that fact.

Olga Chernyatskaya, artist

She incarnated the dreams of many Russian women. She was happy with her husband, whom she loved. She managed to get to the top and was a worthy representative of Russian women. She wasn't just a woman, a wife - she was a personality. Taking into account Russian traditions, one has to be very strong and extremely intelligent to be able to advance that far and present oneself to the world. She was also extremely humane. She was raising funds for children suffering from leukemia, and, sadly, she died of it herself.

Andrei Krashonkin, deputy general director of a publishing house

When Gorbachev ascended to power, everyone around me said that at last a woman had appeared in the Soviet Union who stood as an example, of whom people could be proud, could love. Many of my friends fell in love with her, and the [Gorbachevs as a] couple. Since then, I have never felt anything but deep respect. They have always been an ideal for me. She was such a marvel, so intelligent and educated, kind and attentive. She was different. She was a unique woman and a great personality.

Galina Podporina, singer

Raisa Maksimovna Gorbachev was the first Russian woman to receive such world acclaim. She represented our country as the first lady and did an excellent job. It was comforting to think that she was representing us. She was very feminine, charming and self-possessed. She was a historic person. I think she became as important as her husband. She helped him, and I guess it would be right to say that at least half of his merits should be attributed to her. She was the ideal for a woman - a wife, a mother and a politician.

Artur Valiyev, student

Raisa Gorbachev was a symbol of something new, unknown before, someone who breathed freedom, someone who brought about a new role for women in the state. Wives of the previous leaders always had remained in the shade, and we didn't know who they were and what they were like. ... . Many called her a political woman, but I never thought of her that way. I guess she did have some influence over her husband, but she never really made the decisions. I've always thought of her as a beautiful woman and simply a beautiful and clever person.

Chris Doss The Russia Journal