200,000 Protest the "War Without End

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Apr 21 09:42:04 PDT 2002

Thomas Seay wrote:

>I am sure the DC police prefer good little boys and
>girls who sing Peace songs but dont cause any real
>trouble like those ne'er-do-wells in Seattle ;)

Yup. Overheard some beat cops yakking a few hours ago who loved how smoothly everything went yesterday.

You should have seen the mobilization to defend the WB/IMF delegates from the ne'er-do-wells this morning, though. Saw some Darth Vader-style riot cops emerging from armored personnel carriers parked right in front of our hotel (at 17th & Eye). A line of cops on horseback were defending the Starbucks across from the WB/IMF at 18th & H.

Amusing brand irony: DC cops ride Honda "Rebel" motorcycles.

Doug