Media Coverage of Pro-Israel & Pro-Palestinian Demos

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Apr 21 11:52:09 PDT 2002

>It's interesting to consider how much money the pro-Israel groups spent
>(millions) to turn out a smaller rally last Monday.

***** New York Times 21 April 2002

THE DEMONSTRATORS

Many Thousands in Washington March in Support of Palestinians

By STEPHEN LABATON

WASHINGTON, April 20 - Tens of thousands of Arab-Americans blended with demonstrators against the military campaign in Afghanistan and those criticizing international financial institutions during protests today in Washington, with the cause of the Palestinians and criticism of Israel turning into the main message of the multifaceted crowd....

[This article on the NYT website consists of mere 8 paragraphs, including a one-sentence paragraph.]

<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/21/international/middleeast/21PALE.html> *****

There is no photo of the demo yesterday in today's NYT (the National Edition, in print), much less on the front page. For that matter, _no article on it in print_ either; I found the above _only_ on the NYT website.

In contrast, NYT [the National Edition, in print] ran a front page article, with a large photo, on the pro-Israel demo on April 15:

***** New York Times 16 April 2002

DEMONSTRATORS

Over 100,000 Rally in Washington to Support Israel

By DIANA JEAN SCHEMO

WASHINGTON, April 15 - Tens of thousands of people, an overwhelming majority of them Jewish Americans, gathered in front of the Capitol here today, urging the Bush administration to support Israel and refuse negotiations with the Palestinian leader, Yasir Arafat. Organizers said it was the largest pro-Israel rally here since the country came into existence in 1948....

[13 paragraphs, with no one-sentence paragraph.]

<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/16/international/middleeast/16RALL.html>. *****

I hope FAIR & other orgs & journals will write up an article on the contrast. I'm cc'ing this to Eric Swank, who does research on media coverage of demos, among other topics. -- Yoshie