Jenin & the demo

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Sun Apr 21 14:51:49 PDT 2002

At 03:21 PM 04/21/2002 -0400, it was reported:

>Israel also promised yesterday to cooperate with a United Nations
>mission to probe its crushing assault on the Jenin refugee camp, saying it
>had nothing to hide in the face of Palestinian accusations of a massacre.
>Palestinians said they hoped the U.N. Security Council's unanimous decision
>Friday to send a "fact-finding" team to the camp could lead to an
>international criminal trial of Mr. Sharon and others.
> "We have nothing to hide, and we will gladly cooperate with this U.N.
>inquiry," Sharon spokesman Raanan Gissin said after the United States
>proposed the compromise U.N. resolution.

What happened in Jenin? First the IDF made it clear that it would shoot anyone that showed their head, and they did. Then, as everyone cowered inside their houses, they bulldozed or bombed the houses which collapsed over those inside.

As my son pointed out, you can't call it a massacre. It's more like squishing a bug, he said. I think he's right. It will be months before all the bodies are excavated...before any real accounting can take place. I'm not holding my breath.

There were at least thirty thousand people marching in SF. At least half of these were under thirty. Everyone was heartened by the turn out -- especially the Palestinian demonstrators, who looked surprised by the turn out. The crowd was joined by a very active Phlippino contingent, a Japanese contingent, the usual Sparts/etc, many palestinian groups, a fair number of not-in-my name jews, etc. Can't say much about the speeches because 1) they're always hard to hear and 2) the march was long and tiring ...and by the time it was over (but before the concluding speeches began), I had to rush home and relieve the sitter.

Joanna