Feinstein's "Arafat Accountability Act"

Chris Kromm ckromm at mindspring.com
Sun Apr 21 19:12:51 PDT 2002

An appalling response to Sharon's reign of terror. Note how Sharon's antics are justified by invoking the U.S. response to 9/11:

"When the United States responded to the attacks on 9/11 and went into Afghanistan, there was collateral damage. I'm absolutely sorry about that. And I'm sorry there is collateral damage in the refugee camps. But these camps have been the focus of these bomb factories and of the terrorists themselves."

This is going to be a common argument made by the apologists for Israeli butchery that we should be prepared for.

Feinstein explains foray into foreign policy Her bill would place sanctions on Yasser Arafat

Phillip Matier, Andrew Ross Sunday, April 21, 2002 ©2002 San Francisco Chronicle

Never shy with an opinion, Sen. Dianne Feinstein asked Congress last week to jump feet first into the Middle East fray by proposing sanctions against Palestine Liberation Organization leader Yasser Arafat for Palestinian terror attacks on Israel.

The not-too-subtle message in the "Arafat Accountability Act of 2002" immediately drew a knock from fellow Democrat and House Minority Leader Dick Gephardt of Missouri, who said Congress should be cooperating with the Bush administration on foreign policy rather than shaping that policy itself.

So what is Feinstein up to? What does she think of Gephardt's reaction? And what does she think about the rumblings of a possible war with Iraq?

Here are the highlights of our conversation with her.

M&R: So, why the resolution calling for sanctions against PLO leader Yasser Arafat?

Feinstein: We need to send a strong message to Arafat that the key to peace is stopping terrorism. We also know that many of these acts increasingly emanate from the heart of the PLO.

The aim of the resolution is really to point out that Arafat has said one thing in English and another thing in Arabic.

On Feb. 3, he wrote an op-ed piece in the New York Times saying he opposed violence against Israel, then a couple of days later in Arabic he said, "We will make the lives of the infidels hell." Then just this past week, his wife said she would be proud if she had a son who was a suicide bomber.

Those aren't the words of a leader who wants to work for peace.

M&R: Well, what about Israeli leader Ariel Sharon?

Feinstein: I feel that Sharon fully wants to eliminate the infrastructure of terror. I feel -- and I sincerely believe -- that this incursion (into the West Bank and Gaza) is short-lived. I also sincerely believe it would be counterproductive for the Israelis to remain there.

M&R: And the civilian fallout?

Feinstein: Israel is going in there to destroy the terrorist network. And with the number of suicide bombings and the number of people being killed, Israel had to take some action.

When the United States responded to the attacks on 9/11 and went into Afghanistan, there was collateral damage. I'm absolutely sorry about that. And I'm sorry there is collateral damage in the refugee camps. But these camps have been the focus of these bomb factories and of the terrorists themselves.

Sharon has said they are going to begin to withdraw and should be out within a week. We'll see.

M&R: We're hearing a lot of rumblings about the U.S. going back into Iraq. What's your take on that?

Feinstein: I think it would be a big mistake for the U.S. to attack Iraq. It's very important in our war on terrorism that we not lose the support of moderate Arab states, and I believe an attack at this time would do just that.

The big issue is still finishing up in Afghanistan, finishing up in Yemen and solving the Palestinian issue.

You can't win the war against al Qaeda until you capture its heads -- that's about 24 people and we've only caught two.

M&R: And your reaction to Dick Gephardt saying you should stay out of this?

Feinstein: Mr. Gephardt has never given direction to the Senate -- he might want to give some direction to members of the House.

I think we are at a point, frankly, where the Congress needs to stand up and needs to weigh in.