200,000 Protest the "War Without End

Chuck Munson chuck at tao.ca
Sun Apr 21 19:27:29 PDT 2002

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Chuck0 wrote:
>
> >The good thing is that most of us know now where to start a fight
> >and where to hold back. Yesterday, it was important to hold back,
> >especially with the huge turnout of Palestinian families.
>
> Right -- given a large number of young children and even babies in
> the crowd, it would have been horrible if the demonstrators had been
> attacked by cops.

On the other hand, nobody should expect the nature of Saturday's protest to become the norm at future large mobilizations. I talked to many activists this weekend and I get the sense that many want to be more confrontational. It seems that those who wish to harness the growing wave of dissent are about to lose any control they may have had. Even the "moderate" protesters are sounding like the black bloc!

<< Chuck0 >>

Personal homepage -> http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/index.html Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Factsheet 5 -> http://www.factsheet5.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)