Disaster in France-What Must Be Done Now

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sun Apr 21 21:14:07 PDT 2002

>...the vote was so splintered that they allowed a conservative
>and a fascist to go to the run-off. The far Right is taking power across
>Europe and the US over the splintered factions to their left.
>
>-- Nathan Newman

The Left did not lose because its vote was splintered. Jospin explicitly recognized that and took "total responsibility" for the electoral disaster (if Nathan's boy Gore had only been half as honest...). But now failure to unite *against Chirac* (and my proposal of second-round unity behind José Bové seems to have prospects just as dim as Le Pen's in the second round) is leading straight towards an even worse disaster in the legislative elections in June.

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things."

Herakleitos of Ephesos, fr. 64