Arlette Laguiller on Second Round Elections

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 23 17:24:16 PDT 2002

Here's my translation of her statement made today. If you want to see the french version, go to LO's spartan website at: http://www.lutte-ouvriere.org

-Thomas --------------------------------------------------- Communique of Arlette Laguiller on the second round of the presidential elections (4/22 11 AM)

I am not calling for an abstention during the second round of the presidential election. I call on all workers and particularly those who voted for Le Pen to not vote for him because in addition to being an enemy of those who work, he is also the proponent of an ideology that absolutely must be condemned .

Many will be tempted to vote for Chirac in order to block Le Pen. But I dont think workers have an interest in allowing the election of Chirac to be seen as a veritable plebiscite among workers in support of all the reactionary measures that he could take in the future.

Let us not forget that while not lauding Le Pen, Chirac will favorably take into consideration the electors who voted for Le Pen over those on the Left who voted for him. The workers must not fall into this trap.

Chirac has every possibility of winning but this representative of Big Capital must not do so with the support of those whom he will oppress for 5 years.

===== "The tradition of all the dead generations

weighs like a nightmare on the brain of the living"

-Karl Marx