LCR on Second Round Presidential Elections

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 23 18:06:16 PDT 2002

I erroneoulsy stated this morning that the LCR had called on french voters to support Chirac in second round. As it turns out, not true. Here's an excerpt from the statement by presidential candidate Olivier Besancenot. French orginal at http://www.lcr-rouge.org -Thomas ----------------------------------------------------

At the present time, the first demonstrations of the youth express the resistance of society towards the rise of the right.

The first thing to do now is to have a massive demonstration against Le Pen and the politics of the bosses on Mayday in all the cities of the country. We must block Le Pen, the worst enemy of the workers, in the streets as in the elections. LCR is mobilizing itself so that Le Pen will receive as few votes as possible.

We understand the voters who will vote for Chirac in order to oppose Le Pen, but we dont think that he is the proper shield against this recent upsurge of the extreme Right. To the contrary, he is one of those responsible for it and upon election will most certainly take measures against wage-earners, the youth and immigrants.

It is time for a mobilization against the extreme right and employers, a united mobilization of all workers and youth, united around social demands to end unemployment and inequality, a mobilization in defense of undocumented workers.

Le 22 Avril 2002

===== "The tradition of all the dead generations

weighs like a nightmare on the brain of the living"

-Karl Marx