Disaster in France-What Must Be Done Now

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Tue Apr 23 19:45:59 PDT 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael McIntyre" <mmcintyr at depaul.edu>

>Here's the point. You have no principled basis NOT to be lunching with Al.
>Al is resolutely, straightforwardly, unabashedly, and "effectively" out to
capture
> the median voter. Running Dem candidates to the left of the DLC, he will
point
> out, is to cede the race to the Republicans

My criticism of the Greens is not the politics of their candidates, but the fact that their strategy for electing them them is ineffective compared to running in Dem primaries. The point is that running a progressive in the Dem primaries and winning runs the risk of electing a Republican, but has the chance of electing a real progressive. Running the same candidate as a Green against a Dem almost guarantees a Republican win, with essentially no chance of real victory. I am not against risk, just against guaranteed losing strategies.

--- Nathan Newman