Sensible mainstream commentary on Fr. elections

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Tue Apr 23 23:08:45 PDT 2002

At 23/04/02 10:37 -0700, Brad Mayer wrote:

>To staunch the manipulative, self-serving hysterics.

While I can agree with some of Brad's points could he please say to what he is referring in this comment?

The Brookings Institute article does comment:

>The impression of a France in the hands of extremists or on the verge of a
>fascist takeover — some French commentators on election night did not
>hesitate to make allusions to Germany in 1933 — needs to be put in perspective.

But various other commentators, and thousands of demonstrators in France who have been on the streets day after day, are not saying that. They are effectively suggesting that the situation might be closer to a few years before 1933.

Have I missed some post on LBO-talk that is an example of hysterics, and what does the post actually say?

Because unless Brad can clarify what he is objecting to, one may conclude that he is playing down the need for a dramatic response to a situation where Le Pen has the legitimacy of equal air time with Chirac on the French broadcasting media for a week.

That Brad is playing down the ever present risk of fascism under conditions of bourgeois democracy.

I am only asking for a sensible reply.

Chris Burford