What's wrong with black markets?

ChrisD(RJ) chrisd at russiajournal.com
Wed Apr 24 08:09:18 PDT 2002

Ian Murray says:
> C.B. asks:
>

> "What's wrong with black markets?"
>

> Would you lend me money to start a black market business? If my black
> market supplier doesn't deliver what I pay for, what recourse do I have?
>
> Black markets are essentially glorified barter markets combined with
> criminal enterprises. They deliver value but offer little that can expand
> the capital base.
============================== Well, the main problem with the shadow economy in Russia is that that aspect of the economy is not taxed, resulting in a chronically cash-strapped government which cannot pay its employees, therefore forcing them to go into the shadow ecomony and perpetuating the problem.

Chris Doss The Russia Journal