Arlette Laguiller on Second Round Elections

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 24 12:33:41 PDT 2002

--- Brad DeLong <delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:

Capital must not do so with

> I presume that the first line of the communique is
> misprinted? That
> she *is* calling for abstention?
>

> Brad DeLong

I looked again. That is what she says, so I am not going to change it. It seems to me like LO is saying that while they can not endorse Chirac and think it is a mistake, neither are they going to call for an abstention per se. What LO and LCR seem to be working for is a reduction of the number of workers that vote for Le Pen. A Lou Paulsen-AOL-Liberation exit poll that I read on Liberation had 26 percent of those polled and describing themselves as working class had voted for Le Pen.

I dont know how accurate that poll was but there can be little doubt that Le Pen has a base among the working class and some of the less fortunate social classes in France.

-Thomas

===== "The tradition of all the dead generations

weighs like a nightmare on the brain of the living"

-Karl Marx