narratives

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Apr 24 16:34:42 PDT 2002

>At 02:56 PM 04/24/2002 -0400, Luke wrote:
>>Well, the narrative of the perpetually besieged Jews being attacked by
>>Palestinian terrorists, as flawed as it is, is one that many Americans find
>>compelling.
>
>How about the narrative about Palestinians being disposessed of
>their land, culture, and life -- for having done nothing to the
>jews. How about that narrative?
>
>Joanna

Perhaps, pro-Israel & anti-Palestinian Americans are ideologically motivated by the following analogy, whether they are fully aware of it or not:

White Americans = Israelis = Settler Colonialists

versus

American Indians = Palestinians = Indigenous Populations Displaced by Settler Colonialists.

Thus, if you criticize Israel's colonialism, you'd have to also criticize America's colonialism, to be consistent.

Likewise, Americans capable of political sympathies for American Indians would be also capable of politically sympathizing with Palestinians, I think. -- Yoshie