US guilt

ChrisD(RJ) chrisd at russiajournal.com
Thu Apr 25 00:35:04 PDT 2002

A large chunk of the guilt still hasn't kicked in. At the meeting where I met Andrei Ilarionov, I said that I feared U.S. steel tariffs would greatly harm the interests of the workers of Magnitogorsk--and that the U.S. has never acknowledged the debt that it owes their grandparents for building the tanks that broke the back of the Nazi army.

Something totally obvious, historically completely true--yet never said inside the U.S. Hell, DeeDee Myers thought I was an idiot for saying that Yeltsin should be invited to the 1994 DDay commemoration.

At least Ilarionov seemed to like it...

Brad DeLong ----------------------- Well, acknowledging that would mean acknowledging that it was mainly the USSR that beat Hitler, not the US, which ain't never gonna happen. Not to mention that teh USSR of course bore the great brunt of the fighting. Belarus lost A QUARTER of its population -- the Nazis would just run whole villages into forests and then set them on fire.

Magnitogorsk's main square has a truly impressive and ENORMOUS statue of Lenin on it, by the way. He looks like Superman.

Chris Doss The Russia Journal