US Guilt

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Thu Apr 25 05:48:50 PDT 2002

. . . It's by now pretty well-established that the holocaust narrative was hardly of much concern in the 1950s and 1960s, when people were indeed much closer to the events and there were any number of living witnesses, from survivors to soldiers who entered the death camps at the end of the war. Indeed, the narrative itself was not much present even within Israel itself.

mbs: I would say it was of considerable concern to those who lost family and those who nearly died! When I was very young, my parents showed me a picture book entitled "This must never happen again!" I was instructed at an early age, well before 1967. That last bit about Israel is ridiculous.

Guilt is partly political and can be inculcated to some extent. It can also set in with a lag. So the movements of the Guilt Index doesn't discount its level at any particular point, nor its foundation. But in the end I agree we have to look beyond public opinion to uncover the roots of U.S. Israeli relations.

mbs