US Guilt

kjkhoo at softhome.net kjkhoo at softhome.net
Thu Apr 25 09:56:03 PDT 2002

At 12:06 PM -0400 25/4/02, Max Sawicky wrote:
>It sounds like we are arguing about two different things,
>or I misunderstood your point originally. Nothing you say
>below conflicts with my confidence that the Holocaust
>loomed hugely in Israeli-jewish consciousness in the
>1950's and 60's.

My point was that it was little talked about back in the 1950s, and survivors were distanced, put down even. Then, beginning the later sixties, and accelerating it became, to use Finkelstein's and Novick's characterisation, the Holocaust (as distinct from the Nazi holocaust), with a burgeoning literature, memorials, conferences, courses, etc. In the 1950s, I think there was one notable study -- Raul Hilberg's -- and it wasn't that well received.

OK, I suppose denial/distancing is one manifestation of "loomed hugely". I was thinking of the claiming of it, the embracing of it, not its denial/distancing, sweeping under the carpet.

And in relation to all the talk about reasons for American support, it's the change in narrative that's of interest.

>In any event, I appreciate this exchange. And just who the hell
>are you?

I'm not sure who I am is of much interest to anyone else, but if you are interested, write to me off list, and I'll tell.

kj khoo