Re; Re: Venuela & the AFL-CIO

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Thu Apr 25 10:45:57 PDT 2002

>...Merely labelling the CTV
'rightwing' and thereby justifying Chavez's anti-union program against them is no more valid than the traditional rightwing policies of supporting the destructions of any union labelled "leftwing" in the third world.

- -- Nathan Newman

Like what happened here? Michael Pugliese

http://frontpagemag.com/archives/academia/lewis5-26-99.htm
>...After Frank spoke, it was the crowd's turn to respond. First up and roaring
to take a shot at me was Fred Hirsch, from Plumbers Local 393 in San Jose. A large man with a deep voice, Hirsch sported a pin with a portrait of Paul Robeson on it, the famous African-American entertainer and renowned defender of Soviet Communism. Hirsch rose from his seat, waved his arms about, and in a thundering voice called my paper "bulls—!" Most folks in the audience applauded these kind words. Hirsch went on to say that Meany was a racist, that Lovestone was crazy, that the CPUSA was good, and that I was an "idiot."

The historians in the crowd agreed. John Holmes, a UC Berkeley grad student, charged that my paper sounded like it came out of McCarthy's mouth. (A few weeks later, Holmes wrote—for an online labor-history discussion—that "getting rid of the stinking corpse of Stalinism was a wonderful thing—ideologically speaking. But it was also, from the standpoint of the working classes of that part of the world, obviously and almost inarguably a colossal disaster.") Ellen Schrecker sat in the front row and did not look happy. Another woman commented on how rude I was, how wrong I was, and how I will make a terrible teacher.

In response, I conceded that many AFL unions did, in fact, bar blacks from membership, but that Meany himself was certainly no racist, and that his AFL- CIO offered crucial support for both the 1964 Civil Rights Act and the 1965 Voting Rights Act. More importantly, I asked the audience what was so crazy about opposing a government that brutalized and killed millions upon millions of its own citizens. "We must," I said, "understand this basic fact if we are ever going to understand anti-Communism."

Nobody cared. I was just wrong. Anti-Communism was bad. "Lets us always remember," Frank commented again, "what McCarthy and so many other anti- Communists did to so many innocent people . . . how their lives were ruined and destroyed, and how American politics was corrupted in the process."

After two hours, my moment in the limelight was over. I was, to say the least, stunned and looked forward to leaving the conference and touring San Francisco.

As I gathered my belongings, one of my friends walked up to me and grinned. "These folks," she urged, "need to spend more time in the real world. They seem so out of touch."...

PWW Online ... to hear from you. Send your articles to pww at pww.org Check back on Monday for what will be ... US links to Colombian death squads by Fred Hirsch, Mar 9, 2002. ... pww.org/ http://www.google.com/search?q=Fred+Hirsch+AIFLD

Fred Hirsch, The Labour Movement: Penetration Point for US ... ... and Transnationals Spokesman Books, 1977 by Fred Hirsch. ... American Institute for Free Labour Development, AIFLD. Organised as a training institute, AIFLD ... www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/40/012.html - 11k - Cached - Similar pages

Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and the Labour (labor) Movement ... ... for US Intelligence and Transnationals by Fred Hirsch. ... American Institute for Free Labour Development, AIFLD. Organised as a training institute, AIFLD ... users.crocker.com/~acacia/ text_labor_cia.html - 10k - Cached - Similar pages

Commentary Archive ... coup led by Pinochet and the Generals. I built on earlier work by Fred Hirsch on AIFLD's operations in Chile-Hirsch, a plumber and AFL-CIO member, had exposed ... members.tripod.com/~irish_7x4/index-22.html - 26k - Cached - Similar pages

AFL-CIA?? Crushing Latin American Unions ... US Intelligence and Transnationals by Fred Hirsch, Spokesman Books, 1977. ... Institute for Free Labour Development, AIFLD. Organised as a training institute ... www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/8425/AFL- CIAA.HTM - 13k - Cached - Similar pages

National Endowment for Democracy ... NY, 1984), see AIFLD in index; Jan Knippers Black, United States Penetration of Brazil (Univ. of Pennsylvania Press, 1977), chapter 6; Fred Hirsch, An Analysis ... members.aol.com/superogue/ned.htm - 14k - Cached - Similar pages

Labor2 ... coup led by Pinochet and the Generals. I built on earlier work by Fred Hirsch on AIFLD's operations in Chile-Hirsch, a plumber and AFL- CIO member, had exposed ... www.cofc.org/Labor/ labor%20foreign%20policy.htm - 24k - Cached - Similar pages

US Responsibility for the Coup in Chile ... junta arranged for a meeting of 26 small AIFLD-connected unions and called it the Chilean National ... 47. Fred Hirsch, An Analysis of our AFL-CIO Role in ... Description: Also on this site: Operation Condor; Report from CIA's 1970 Anti- Allende Task Force; FBI Report on... Category: Society > History > By Region > South America > Chile > 1970s www.pir.org/chile.html - Similar pages

Serafino Romualdi ... BONA FRED: Resource Center. AIFLD in Central ... Uncloaking the CIA. 1978 (263); Hirsch,F. Our AFL-CIO Role ... 1974 (21); Resource Center. AIFLD in Central America. 1986 ... www.pir.org/main4/ Serafino_Romualdi.html - Similar pages [ More results from www.pir.org ]

CIA - Accusations - Prior to 1990s ... Penguin, 1976. 1981. Hirsch, Fred, and Richard Fletcher. The CIA ... Labor Development.... Most of Hirsch's essay is a case study of the AIFLD in Chile.... Richard ... intellit.muskingum.edu/intellsite/ ciaaccusations_folder/ ciaaccusations1.html - 11k - Cached - Similar pages

UK - Post-WWII - Generally - HZ ... Hirsch, Fred, and Richard Fletcher. The CIA ... Free Labor Development.... Most of Hirsch's essay is a case study of the AIFLD in Chile.... Richard Fletcher's ... intellit.muskingum.edu/intellsite/ uk_folder/ukpostwwiih-z.html - 16k - Cached - Similar pages [ More results from intellit.muskingum.edu ]