US Guilt

Heer, Jeet (National Post) JHeer at nationalpost.com
Thu Apr 25 11:00:09 PDT 2002

In fact, a good book has already been written about this: Peter Novick's The Holocaust and American Memory -- basically, Novick argues that during the 1950s, the memory of the Holocaust didn't loom very large but there was a big resurgence after the 1967 war, due not just to Zionism but also increased need to define Jewish identity in a secular way. I very much recommend Novick's book -- it is very thourougly researched and convincing. Jeet